Did anyone ever watch "Who's the Boss?" with Tony Danza (and for you really old people...remember him on "Taxi")? Danza played Tony Micelli, a former baseball player, who along with his daughter Samantha moved in with Angela, Jonathan and her mother Mona to serve as their housekeeper. Great TV show...they sure don't make 'em like that anymore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPfZVSgpclw
After "Who's the Boss?", Tony Danza dabbled in a few things and following an injury in a ski accident her decided to head to the classroom as an English teacher in Pennsylvania. While I have often said teachers many times are the best actors (we have to control emotions, put on faces of happiness when things may be falling apart) but I was skeptical if an actor would be the best teacher...especially when I heard it was going to be taped for a reality show. (Reality shows...I love 'em (especially "The Amazing Race"...but these shows could be what is wrong with TV and some things in society today.).
Danza has now wrote a book about the experience and shared his thought on kids, education and society with Fox News. Check out the link believe and tell us what you think about what the boxer, turned actor, turned talk show host, turned game show host, turned teacher has to say.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/09/20/qa-tony-danza-recounts-his-year-as-teacher-says-kids-victims-our-culture/?intcmp=features
Good article.. Maybe a good book club read.. who's in... Kelly buying the books?
ReplyDeleteBooks or mac's, make up you mind! You just got a new saw too, no more book money I'm guessing.
DeleteTD: "...You know what one of the best indicators of student achievement is? The academic success of the mother. If you have 75 percent single motherhood, you have a problem and that no teacher can solve.
ReplyDeleteHe is flat right on, right on in the whole article!
Parenting and values of family have gone to shit. Now we have parents w/ kids who had crap situations...
Thank goodness for those invaluable moments when the light comes on or they come back and tell you thank you / buy you a beer later on in their life!
Agreed...particularly regarding the effect of poverty on children and families. I had the opportunity a couple years ago to attend a poverty simulation activity with other local counselors, social services workers, and other folks working with youth and families in the area, and even for those of us who work with families struggling with poverty it was an eye-opening experience. I wish sometime we could bring this simulation to our staff and/or students...maybe when I make my millions :)
ReplyDeleteAs educators we have had to step up and take on another role...that of parent. Even in our little town, we have students who live in poverty and have some pretty "yuck" home situations. For some...school is an escape...
ReplyDelete