Connecting the teachers and staff of the Elkton Public School District
Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Do You Remember Where You Were?
There are points in history that you will always remember where you were at when they occurred. For my parents generation, it was John Kennedy's assassination. For the generation after me, it was 9-11. For my generation, it was when the space shuttle, Challenger, exploded right after lift off. Today marks the 28th anniversary of the Challenger tragedy. It was an exciting time in education, as teacher Christa McAuliffe was on board and was going to do lessons from space. I was in the 4th grade at Ellsworth
AFB and some students went down to the library to get a TV. They returned to the classroom and told our
teacher that our librarian said the shuttle blew up. I remember watching it over and over that day (as I remember with 9-11). It was hard to believe it had happened... http://voices.suntimes.com/news/28-years-ago-today-the-challenger-disaster-touched-the-nation/ One of the things I remember the most about that day was watching what President Reagan had to say that evening. Even now, his words are powerful and moving.
As educators, we are preparing the next generations of explorers. Perhaps 28 years ago today, there was someone who watched these events unfold and decide to be a teachers, an engineer, or a NASA scientist. Know that what you do in your classroom each day and how you guide student through historical events, like this one, help shape the world of tomorrow.
I remember all the news and video after it happened, don't recall seeing it actually happen. Was really interested in why it happened though, remember a lot about that damn o-ring and it being cold. Always thought it was really, really big is size, until I actually seen the Discovery shuttle at the Air & Space Museum this past summer, not a big as I had imagined, but very impressive. ...unreal on what it takes and who all it takes to make it possible.
I remember all the news and video after it happened, don't recall seeing it actually happen. Was really interested in why it happened though, remember a lot about that damn o-ring and it being cold. Always thought it was really, really big is size, until I actually seen the Discovery shuttle at the Air & Space Museum this past summer, not a big as I had imagined, but very impressive. ...unreal on what it takes and who all it takes to make it possible.
ReplyDelete