Friday, March 18, 2016

Riding the Pine

I will apologize to those of you who are not basketball fans.  This blog has to do with basketball...again...

Have you heard of Monmouth University?  It is a small university in West Long Branch, New Jersey.  About 6500 students attend the Division I university.  That is tiny compared to the 12,700 that attend SDSU.  Monmouth University's basketball team made an impression this year.  They didn't make the NCAA tournament, but they have definitely become stars.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/monmouth-universitys-bench-players-become-off-court-stars-2/

This grainy, almost VHS-like how to tape they made is GREAT!


PS:  If you want, you can Google a TON of videos on their antics.

As a bench warmer, you could just "ride the pine".  Clap a little when a score is made...pretend to be interested in what is occurring.  Or you could be like these guys...into the game...knowing that I may not be playing but I can contribute to this team in so many other ways that will positively lift their spirits and help lead them to victory.

It reminds me of the conversations of "bystanders" when we talk with our students.  When you see things getting tough, do you stand up for those around you?  Or do you sit passively and just watch what happens?  Do you cheer on those around you even when you are not "the star"?  We all play a part in the success or failure of a team or group...whether you ride the pine or score all the points.  

I smile at what these young men are doing.  They understand they have been granted a gift to be part of a Division I basketball program.  Their hard work in the off season, as a practice player, and as a bench warmer has allowed others to find success.  As teachers, we are somewhat like that.  We do A LOT of things in the background that never make headlines, but contribute to the success of students or fellow staff members.

Don't feel like you are just "riding the pine".  Seize the opportunity to help those around you and know you made a difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment