I think everyone's sleep patterns are in a tailspin.
In the past two weeks these events have occurred which has resulted in late nights:
Halloween
Game 7 of the World Series (that went into extra innings after a rain delay)
Daylight Savings Time
Presidential Election
For our family, I'll add "harvest" to that list which makes for some very late nights.
So our sleep patterns have been disrupted. We are a little bit more tired in the mornings and are waiting for the time when we can "catch up" on sleep. We are a bit more on edge and need a bit more coffee in the morning to keep us going. We (as are our students) are buzzing with excitement to share with friends and colleagues our thoughts and views on what happened the night before.
The country, in fact the whole world, is buzzing with the results of the election. I must admit: I stayed up until after 1 flipping between Fox, CNN, ABC, and CBS to hear what they were saying and to see if a winner would be declared. I had to wait until this morning to hear "official" results.
And boy is it crazy.
Crazy in the fact that pollsters got it wrong. Crazy in the fact that people are just plain MEAN on social media. Crazy in the fact that it was so close. Crazy in the fact that there are still states, including our neighbor Minnesota, that do not have official results yet.
Unfortunately those late nights and craziness trickle down to our kiddos. As teachers we will hear A LOT from them today. Here is what to remember and to let them know. We live in the United States of America. It is a great country. We have to come together, accept things we may or may not like, and work towards (to quote Mr. Jandahl) being "good". And we can do that. We have to put differences aside and work towards a common good. It is what we ask them to do here at school. You are not going to agree with everything, but you must move forward. You must respect the process. You must work with everyone here: teachers, classmates, and friends.
I am attaching words from Jon Gordon today. Not bad a reminder as we move forward.
https://twitter.com/JonGordon11?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

No comments:
Post a Comment