Monday, December 19, 2016

Auld Lang Syne

It is the time of the year when television and magazines are doing their "A Look Back at 2016" specials.  Time Magazine has picked a "Person of the Year".  Barbara Walters is picking her "10 Most Fascinating People".  Merriam Webster has picked a "Word of the Year" (it is "surreal").  And there is always a reflection on those we have lost during the year.

A lot can happen in a year.  I understand why people journal.  As I began writing this blog, I looked back at everything that happened in the world this year and there were many things I forgot about. Having that reflective piece can help you remember the bad and the good of the year.  That is why I push the reflective piece of growing as a professional.  We are so busy we can't remember what we did first period TODAY, much less first period five months ago.  Don't be afraid to journal and to keep those journals.  Not only will you be able to jog your memory about what you did to teach a particular lesson, you can also view your growth as an educator, no matter how long you have been in this game.

The end of 2016 also means the formation of resolutions for 2017.  Don't always focus on changing everything.  Rather; focus on changing one thing.  Focus on a minor change for those minor ones can lead to big ones.  Don't say you are going to loose 50 pounds.  Take the small step of eating better.  This small step can lead to bigger changes.  Don't say you will develop a library of extensive, cross curricular lesson plans for every subject you teach.  Take a small step.  Say you will focus on a specific skill and develop lessons to teach and reinforce that skill.

So here is the semi-serious link about teacher resolutions:
https://www.weareteachers.com/6-new-years-resolutions-for-teachers/

And here is the not so serious link about teacher resolutions:
https://thepensivesloth.com/2014/12/27/top-10-teacher-new-years-resolutions/

I wish you the best ending possible to 2016 and an even better 2017.






No comments:

Post a Comment