Disclaimer: This is not a political statement.
I want everyone to begin thinking about the upcoming inauguration. After the election, we heard students make
comments to other students about political statements made during the election. These comments were hurtful to students and I
appreciate everyone’s diligence in snuffing them out. Some of the great things I saw staff doing
were:
-Lessons on myths on immigration and prejudice
-Listening for and stopping statements
-Comforting students who may have been worried or stressed
about the impact on their lives
I am asking everyone to have their eyes and ears open as we
are approaching the beginning of a new
presidential term. Social media and the
television are once again full of strong statements that we may hear some students
repeat, while other students may react to them with fear.
Don’t be afraid to visit with a student about their behaviors and its potential effect on others. I visited with a student today about drawing swastikas. We had
a mini history lesson…what group is that associated with? What does that group stand for? Are these your beliefs? Can you see how this is offensive? Those few lines drawn in that manner are
powerful and not something to “joke” around with. Don’t be afraid to stop these things and have
conversations and lessons on tolerance with students.
I have confidence that everyone here cares for our
students. Be sure to be aware (like what
was talked about in the suicide prevention training) and be sure to not be a
bystander. Give more than a “play with
someone else”...talk to students who make hurtful statements. Hopefully we can show all students good in
the world and their part in being the good in the world. Hopefully we can make them
see that this environment…this school...is a good and safe place to be.
As Kid President would say, “Treat people like they are
people, People!”.
No comments:
Post a Comment