Monday, January 13, 2020

Throw It Away

There is nothing I like more than the challenge of de-cluttering.  I have been called the Throw Away Queen.  I have no problem going into a situation, rolling up my sleeves, sorting through items and filling up garbage bags.  While it is fun to look back at items, I find myself letting things go and taking them to the curb.  Perhaps it was the fact that as a child we moved ever three to four years and the military only paid for so much stuff to be moved.  Maybe it is due to the fact that as a teacher here I moved classrooms five times.  I just can't hang on to stuff.  The less the better for me.

Now let's talk about hanging on to other "stuff".  You know...the "stuff" you cannot see, but rather the "stuff" that you feel inside.  You can't really physically put those things into a garbage bag and send it to the curb.  Emotional baggage and emotional hurt are things we experience as teachers and things that many of our students deal with daily.  How do you put that "stuff" in the trash?  It can be just as overwhelming as physical "stuff".  It can clutter your mind and your heart.  It can bring with it self doubt, lack of confidence, fear, and low self esteem.  As teachers, we may work through these feelings after a parent meeting...after giving a test...after hearing a rumor.  Our students may work through these things after a bad night at home...after not studying for a test...after hearing a rumor. Not everyone can "shake it off".  (Great song Taylor...great idea...but not always the easiest thing to do...maybe it is if your outlet is to write a song putting the "stuff" on blast and making millions off of it...)




It is important for us all (teachers and students) to invest time in activities and people who help us peel away layers of this "stuff" and beginning tossing it to the side.  Read.  Walk.  Laugh. Go out with friends. Color.  Exercise.  Watch movies.  Laugh some more.  Forgive.  Play a game.  Take a bath.  Forgive.  Laugh.  Find the thing YOU like...invest time in it to help put that "stuff" to the curb.  

It isn't easy.  I held onto some "stuff" for a few years now.  It caused me anxiety in situations where people may be.  It caused me fear that something would be said to me or about me.  I have worked to get over that "stuff" and move forward.  It is much easier said than done, but I feel less burden knowing that I have put that in a Hefty bag and off my heart.

The new year is the perfect time to de-clutter.  When de-cluttering your closet, don't forget to work on de-cluttering those other parts...and helping our students do the same.  Be that person they can laugh and share with.  Think about how much clearer they and you will be able to look at the world.

I hope 2020 has been good for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment