Thursday, February 20, 2020

Self Reflection

Is it just me or does a short week seem to feel longer than a regular week?

After a long January, we are quickly reaching the final nine weeks of school.  When you stop and think about that, it is unreal.  Where did the time go?  What have we accomplished?  How will I get everything else still in?

I always find self reflection to be a great thing.  Looking at where I have been...where I have to go...and what I need to do in order to get there.  I may have to take a class to get there.  I may have order some materials.  I may do some readjustment.  I need to develop a plan in order to meet my goal and get the results I desire.

We are lucky that we have the time to reflect.  We can journal, talk it out with friends, but we are given the opportunity to take the time to make thoughtful adjustments to what we doing.  When it comes to the classroom, we often are put on the spot and asked make adjustments quickly based on student response.  It is during those times we hope that our gut helps make the right adjustments.

Imagine if you are a coach of a high profile team.  Half time comes and a microphone is shoved in your face and you are bombard with questions about how you think you are performing, what you need to do differently, and how you will accomplish the ultimate goal of winning.  You don't have time to think of an eloquent answer.  You have to come up with answer and come up with it quick.  Your thoughts are not on sounding good for the camera, but what you want to tell your team and the adjustments you must make in order to win the game.

The following video has been shared this week of what would happen if teachers had to do those half time interviews...self reflection on the fly.

I encourage you to self reflect each day.  Either write it out or talk it out.  Figure out what you must do in order to meet your goals and find success in your classroom.

https://twitter.com/SportsNation/status/1230217141774929925


No comments:

Post a Comment