Thursday, April 16, 2020

What is Important?

I looked at the calendar and realized that on Monday it was one month since students have been in our school.  I can't decide if it has gone really fast or really slow.  I think most of us can say we know that today is a day that ends with "y".

What day of the week is it? - Robin Williams - What year is it ...

I don't think it would be wrong to say this situation has caused us professionally and personally to look at what matters.  I found a quote this morning by Glennon Doyle that talk about the word crisis.  The Greek root of the word crisis actually means "to sift, separate, discern".  What does that mean?  To sift means to shake out excess and leave what is important.   A crisis shakes things up.  We are then asked to look at what are the important parts. What do we need to give our students?  We need to give them contact...we have to reach out to them in this time.  Connections and relationships are key.  We have seen what academically is key for our students to meet standards and gain knowledge.  We have seen that life skills are important (cleaning, cooking, etc).  We have seen that play is powerful.  As Glennon Doyle stated, "We need to hold on to what matters and let the rest fall away."

During this time, keep sifting.  Keep finding where the important things are and let the other stuff fall through.  Do it in your classroom and do it in your personal life.  

Keep your chin up!  You are doing great things!


Teacher Memes - Posts | Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment