I would think that if outsiders wrote stories about Bruce, they would vary. Some would call out his grouchy demeanor. Others would recognize that he did good deeds though not willingly. Some may point out that he opened his home to others. Yet others would say that he hated everything and everyone that wasn't him or sleeping.
Not many of us will have great stories written about us. As of now, no one is knocking on my door to write a book about my life. I am thinking that if I want my story to be told, all the moments of joy and the moments of crabbiness, it will have to come from me. But if I really think about it, the one time a great story will be written about me is when I have no say in what will be written. It will be my obituary.
Wow.
So much for talking about joy.
The point is...what do you want your final story to say? What do you want people to write about you? Do you want them to be honest? Do you want them to sugarcoat it a little bit? What do you want them to tell?
It is important to remember that every day we are writing our story. Many times we are placing the pen in someone else's hand. The kid who you pulled aside today to ask how they were doing...what will they write about you? The parent you called to talk about an academic concern...what will they write about you? The colleague who you helped out by covering their class so they could use the restroom...what will they write about you? While you can't write the words for them, you can give them things to write about you are positive, loving, and complimentary.
Don't be afraid to take the pen in the direction you want it to go. Will being crabby like Bruce see kind words written about you? Probably not. Will showing small gestures of kindness change the words that are put on paper? It can't hurt.
Keep showing joy this season...and all year long.
(Since I mention obituaries...read this one...it is great! https://www.fayobserver.com/obituaries/m0028451 )
No comments:
Post a Comment