A Maryland school board has developed a proposal which states the following:
- "Works created by employees and/or students specifically for use by the Prince George's County Public School or a specific school or department within PGCPS, are properties of the Board of Education even if created on the employee's or student's time and with use of their materials."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/12/maryland-proposal-to-claim-copyright-on-students-work-prompts-backlash-legal/
Are you shaking your head?
Those are some outstanding students! As the story notes the kids are most likely in the clear. But staff I think and worry their work, especially website course development not only could be school district property but more so State property. I think efforts to deliver courses online and creativity online is held back overall as the efforts of one instructor could be used against them and eliminate the need for that teacher to deliver the course. As more work is done I would want more clarification on whose ideas are whose, especially on the online course development. The rest we all beg & borrow ideas and share to support each other. If we were all that good/smart to be published maybe we wouldn't be here? ...wait don't we want the best teaching? Now I'm really confused.
ReplyDeleteNever ever do your work during school hours on a school computer. No worries.
ReplyDelete