Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Back to School

Summer is over.
   

August is here.  School starts in two short weeks.  The joy and relief we felt in May when the year was completed has now been replaced with the panic of a new year.  Am I ready to go?  How will it go?  Will it be a success?  How will I get my bladder back on the school schedule?  While it is hard to switch off from "vacation mode", having a routine back is a comfort.  Not just for us, but also for our parents and kiddos.  There MAY be some parents who are really excited about the start of the school year.  This back to school commercial from Staples is one of my all time favorites.  It is probably how many parents feel this time of year. (Check out those 1996 prices for supplies!)



It is now time to determine how you want this year to go.  Here is a little secret:  How the year will pan out is dependent upon one person:  you.  Consider the following questions:

-Am I going to be an active participant in in-service?
-Am I going to try something new in my room?  (Going back to the saying "It is one thing to teach for 20 years...it is another things to teach the same year 20 times...)
-Am I going to push my self to the edge or over where my comfort zone rests?
-Am I going to engage with my fellow staff members?
-Am I going to follow through on responsibilities (grades, newsletters, meetings, etc.)?
-Am I going to give my all for my students?
-Am I going to build relationships with students, parents, and fellow staff members?
-Am I going to be willing to fail?
-Am I going to engage and excite learning in my students?

All of those things are dependent upon you and what you are willing to do.  It is not dependent on me.  It is not dependent on your neighbor (while it does help if they want to work with you).  It is dependent on what you are willing to do...the effort you are willing to give for our kids.  Think about what you ask your students to do.  Why should we except any less of ourselves in the classroom?

I wish you all success this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment