While seeing that made the trip worthwhile, I wasn't too excited about the drive out to Rapid City...by myself...in the school van...and at night. It is always different when you drive someone else's vehicle. It feels...funny...the brakes are a little bit more touchy....you don't know if the headlights are automatic or if that is just the daytime driving lights (and you look as cars pass you and it seems like your lights are on...but after about 10 miles of driving, you realize...NOPE! The switch in that position does not mean your full headlights are on). There is no XM/Sirius radio in the school van which means after Chamberlain, you enter the world of radio static. I wasn't sure where my hotel was, how to get there, and how to get from there to the conference center the next morning. The only person I had directing me was my Maps app on my phone...and we know that even sometimes she doesn't get it right.
These are the things that make me nervous. So I was sure to have the address of both hotels already programmed into my app on my phone before I left. I got myself comfortable with the school van and gave myself a pep talk or two. When it came to the music, I went old school. I brought a pile of CDs with and got ready to jam. I listened to the "Footloose" sound track, which happened to have a sticker on the cover that stated it was the 15th anniversary of the soundtrack. Ugh. And that CD was old...which mean this movie is old...which means I am old...
After six hours, I was finally there...and I realized why I was so tired.
Thursday brought forth a day of REALLY good keynote speakers and breakout sessions. Thursday night was a super exciting night and Friday morning found me tired and inspired by our keynote speaker. And then it was off again to the East side of the state.
There were many thing I took away from the conference. Things I look forward to sharing with you, but in writing this blog, my mind went back to my my experience in the school van.
The experience was uncomfortable for me to begin with. It was scary. It placed me in a situation were I wasn't really sure of what I was doing or how to do it. I had to try things out and get comfortable with my new surroundings. I failed a few times (again...drove like 10 miles thinking my headlights were on), but I didn't quit. I kept trying until I found out what work (and you really can tell the difference when the lights are on!) and I remembered that for next time. When the situation didn't have everything I needed (radio), I added my own flair to make it engaging and exciting. While I knew there were limits...I mean I was driving the school van and my worse fear is getting a speeding ticket in a school vehicle...I looked at those limits and adjusted to make the situation work...which meant going 82 instead of 85. Does Mr. Jandahl read this blog? I hope not...
My point is this: this is what you SHOULD be doing in your classroom each day. You should be putting yourself in uncomfortable situations for the good of your kids. You should sometimes fail, but keep trying in order to find out what works. You shouldn't be limited by a textbook. You should add your own flair...you should make lessons your own. You should adapt your lessons and your pace based on the students in your room. Not everything should be high stakes...do those formative assessments to see where your kids are at and adjust.
One of the speakers, Tony Frontier, stated that teaching is an art of observation and the conditions we see do not determine the outcomes; rather they determine the strategies we must use to make our classroom a place were students smile.
Be aware of your surroundings. Plan ahead. Adjust. Adapt. That uncomfortable situation may allow you to be part of something really cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment