Wednesday, October 4, 2017

That Thief Call Time

Where did September go?  Time flies when you are having fun!  All of sudden, October is here with her promises of pumpkin spice and everything nice.


Image result for pumpkin spice meme

It seems like the older we get, the faster time goes.  Is it because we are pulled in so many directions?  Is it because we are such a mobile society that we are always going, going, going?  Is it because there is so much more to do and see?  It not as if they have shorten a day any...I mean there are still 24 hours in one.  So why does it seem like there is never enough time?

Whether in our classrooms or in our homes, we are always talking about that nasty little thief called time. It seems to DRAG when we are dong something that doesn't interest us, but seems to fly when we are having a good time.  In classrooms, you are on a roll and BAM!  The bell rings and you run out of time.  That lesson you planned to take 50 minute took only 25...what to do?  You want to do this three week inquiry project but when will you find the time to not only plan it, but actually do it?

Image result for father time meme

It would be nice if time slowed down, but we know it that is not possible.  I have spent the past few weekends wondering how I got it all done on weekends last year while taking those ELL classes.  I feel like I took every little free minute I had to read another chapter on linguistics.  There never seemed to be enough time then...and I still think that same thing today.  Shouldn't I have more time?  Nope.  Time has instead stolen moments away from other things.  The thing I have tried to focus on is not letting time steal from BIG moments.  Time with my family, time with just me, time just being surrounded by quiet.  

Don't let time be a thief for you.  Don't limit what you are going to do at school or with your family for fear of "not having time".  Try to break your "to do list" into chunks.  Prioritize. Accomplish a little at a time.  Don't be afraid to say NO sometimes.  Don't be afraid to say YES sometimes.  Sometimes that YES will lead you to a great memory with your students or with your family.  

Don't let time be a thief of joy, fun, or accomplishment for you.  I think we often just "make do" with the time we have.  Our time is limited...don't waste it...do GREAT things with it!  

Remind yourselves: If not now...then when?


No comments:

Post a Comment