How can it be that tomorrow is April? I have neglected to put my thoughts and words of encouragement (I hope they are that) down since January. Was it because I was not inspired? Was it because I had given up on trying to be encouraging? Was it because the weight of everything got to be too much? I think it was probably a little bit of all of those things.
April is a rough month in education. It feels different. There is an energy that can't be described yet at the same time a lack of energy that can't be described. I have stated before it is always interesting when a first-year teacher comes to me, wondering what is wrong with them during this time of year. I simply reply, "Oh...this is what we call in education "April"."
We start the month of April with a day dedicated to practical jokes. It is a day where you second guess the things you see and hear. You are hesitant to eat the sugar donuts in the lounge, not knowing if that is sugar or salt on them. You analyze words and situations so not to get "caught" in a joke. On the other hand, you may be the jokester. You may be the one that can come up with the best pranks and people fall for them every time. You lurk around the corner, spying to see who will be the next person to fall for your joke. You have to push down your laughs so people don't know it is you who is the mastermind behind these good jokes.
I feel like during these last months of school, every day in feels like April Fool's Day. We second guess what we are hearing and doing. We may feel like there is someone around the corner, ready to surprise us with the "next thing". We hear what is coming and we wonder "What joker thought of that?". We may feel like we don't know who to trust...and sometimes that person we may begin to lose trust in and start to doubt is...us...
Keep the course. Keep your head up high. Know it is ok to ask questions and to think deeply before making a decision. Keep doing the things to make the end of this year meaningful and powerful for our students...and for you. Trust your gut. Do the right things. And eat the donut...but pick one with frosting instead of sugar.
No comments:
Post a Comment